3 Steps To Easily Introduce Yourself

by Carl Kwan on May 5, 2011

I’ve noticed that it’s not easy to find great tips on introducing yourself, especially video samples of how to introduce yourself. And since this is really important to do this well in a presentation, I decided to share with you a fantastic and simple technique to introduce yourself.

The Elevator Pitch

Do you know what an elevator pitch is? It’s a short, 15-30 second explanation of who you are and what you do. It was developed to help business people be prepared when suddenly faced with their dream prospect or partner. Since everyone is so busy, it’s important to know what to say to your dream prospect or partner in a quick way that gets your message across. And that’s how the elevator pitch came about.

Okay, so what does that have to do with presentation skills? A LOT!

The beginning of your presentation is when you create the first and most powerful impression on your audience. If you can’t simply and quickly tell them who you are and why they should be interested in listening to you, they might tune out even before you get to your main idea.

But being prepared with an elevator pitch can help you get through the start of your presentation with confidence. This is important because that confidence can carry you through the entire presentation.

The three elements of an elevator pitch to introduce yourself are:

1. Saying your name and company
  2. Stating the value you provide or specialty
  3. Explaining who you can help or how you can help

The video shows you in more detail how to incorporate the three elements I just mentioned. The key is for you to practice until you can do it smoothly and confidently. This will be a great help, not only for presentations, but also in business or any other professional setting where you need to talk about who you are.

If you can’t see the above YouTube video, please click here to see the MP4 version: “3 Steps To Easily Introduce Yourself”

{ 77 comments… read them below or add one }

Preetham Lawrence May 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

nice

Santhipriya June 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

really simple nd gud

santhipriya June 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

the way u teach is really awesome

Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Thank you! Appreciate your comment.

Sundas July 8, 2011 at 7:40 am

Your way of teaching is really good and helping!
Each word you pronounce is so clear and easy to understand

Anonymous July 9, 2011 at 1:05 am

Thank you very much, Sundas!
Glad you found it helpful :)

agozali July 24, 2011 at 4:02 am

Dear Carl Kwan
I saw your wonderful presentation. It was very helpful for me. I have an interview for Ph.D program but I don’t know exactly how and what I should say. Could you please send me some more advice if it’s possible?

Many thanks.
Sincerely Yours

Carl Kwan July 24, 2011 at 7:00 am

Hi,

Thank you for the comment. It’s very much appreciated and I’m glad it was helpful.
Congratulations! I hope you get accepted into the program. I’m not sure what type of Ph.D you will be studying for, but you can try this:

1. Audience: Who will you speak to?
2. Content: Adjust your content to suit the audience
3. The rule of 3: Think of 3 main topics you would want to discuss. Then think of 3 sub-topics or points within each main topic.
4. FAB: Use the Features, Advantages, Benefits method when discussing your content.

Then practice a lot! And do so with a video camera to self-critique your performance. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

agozali July 25, 2011 at 12:36 am

Dear Carl Kwan

Thank you very much!
You really impressed me. I want to submit as a PhD student in nanothechnology. Surly I’ll do what you said. Hope the best for you!

Many thanks for your advice.

Sincerely yours,
agozali

Carl Kwan July 25, 2011 at 12:47 am

You’re very welcome. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

webdesigning at low cost July 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Thank you very much!

Many thanks for your advice.

webdesigning at low cost

webdesigning at low cost July 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Thank you very much!

Many thanks for your advice.

webdesigning at low cost

kakai immaculate August 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm

hello thanks for the very simple and clear points on introducing myself,good work

Carl Kwan August 18, 2011 at 12:23 am

Thank YOU for commenting. Happy to help.

rajesh August 31, 2011 at 6:30 pm

hi

Ganesh September 29, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Thanks, it is really impressive one,
The first & very important question that is asked in every interview
i.e
Q=Please give me your brief introduction.
How to tackle that question. Examples are required that what things should be included in introduction during interview.
All are invited to give introduction such like interview is conducted.
Please reply.

Carl Kwan September 30, 2011 at 5:44 am

Thank YOU Ganesh! Yes, that is the toughest question to tackle. I’m sure you could handle it easily now :)

Charulata December 13, 2011 at 1:01 am

short and sweet for anyone to introduce themselves! Thanks. I know even after changing the pens, we could not read the writing!. Since you repeat it so many times, it is easy to follow your advice.

Carl Kwan December 13, 2011 at 1:28 am

Thanks Charulata! Re: the pen… I know! Those pens are horrible! :)

kakai immaculate December 19, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Thanks alot Carl for your effective posts,they are of relevance to my daily life,my mentor introduced me to your website and surely i can say am learning new lessons everyday

My aspiration is to be a Tv host for motivation and inspiration talks, i realy want to reach out for the masses,How can i perfect my skills though i have not done any course in informationation technology.

Carl Kwan December 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for your message! I’m happy you like what you’ve learned.

Good luck in reaching your dream job. I recommend practicing by making your own videos and posting them to YouTube. Do it consistently and continuously improve. You’ll be ready when you get the opportunity. You can also use a service like Ustream and just create your own live show. Good luck!

bibek khatiwada December 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm

hello,
your introduction tips was very helpful but could you give more tips
about introducing. i’m having a presentation on monday on college on the course of study subject matter. so please send me some tips

Carl Kwan December 25, 2011 at 2:16 am

Hi,

Thanks for your comment! What kind of presentation do you have to give? What other tips would you like to know about introducing? There are several videos here that may be helpful. If you would like some specific tips, please let us know what you’re interested in knowing, in particular and we’ll do our best to help.

All the best.

Eric February 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Hi
Thanks allot Carl Kwan your kindly advice . I really interested this video and i learned allot . Actually i have a big problem how can i speak in front of audience . I asked my self many times what wrongs with me , but still i could not get suitable answer . However , I would like to improve my English (Speaking , writing ) . So please give kindly advice about this issue.

Carl Kwan February 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Thank you Eric! Haha…nothing is wrong with you. Many, many, many people have a big problem speaking in front of an audience. Even experts get nervous because they want to do well. The biggest keys are preparation, understanding your audience and practice.

To improve your English, the most important thing is to improve your listening ability. Without listening, you can’t communicate effectively. Use natural, normal speed English. I advise against using slower English listening material because that’s not how native speakers speak. It’s true in any language.

Improving your listening will help your speaking if you can practice regularly. Improved listening skills also improves your writing because you instinctively know how a sentence should sound. Writing takes more practice and time, but it’s worth it if that’s what your goal is.

Good luck and thanks again!

Eric February 2, 2012 at 5:08 am

Thank you very much indeed , i really appriciate your golden advice . Actually I read alot instead of listening . Iam doing my first bacholor and most of time I use to read , regadless writing and listening . However , i tried to find out english online courses . Please if you know useful courses and websites message to me .

Thank you very much again your great advice.

Angela Santos February 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hello there!
I am so glad i found your sites which is very helpful to me.
Especially for a new agent liked me.I need more practices and training.
Could you please help me also in correct grammar English.I really need your help.Thank you and more power to you!

Trung Son February 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Dear Carl!

I really want to say “thank you very much”! All your videos are so great, and your voice so nice! I’m in processing to learn english, your site with all contents had helped me so much, not only english but also presentation skill. They are very necessary for my job and my life in the future. I hope you continuous make more and more videos. And one thing, I hope you help me, that’s show me the mistakes in my comments. I’m so thankful to you!

Continuous success!

Carl Kwan February 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Thank you so much! Yea, presentation skill is so important! And I think people in the rapidly developing SE Asian countries can really benefit from improving these kinds of skills. Do many people in your country learn presentation skills?

Carl Kwan February 9, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Thanks! What kind of agent are you?
For grammar, I recommend to you and Trung Son to read as much as possible. I think reading is one of the best ways to improve your grammar.

Trung Son February 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hi Carl!

Thanks for your reply and advice! I’m an insurance agent, so I think presentation skill is the most important thing decides my success. I see you have a pronunciation. Could you let me know are you South Korean?

Carl Kwan February 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Yes, presentation skill is for sure important for your work! Good luck!
No, I’m not Korean… I was born in Hong Kong and lived in Vancouver since I was 2 1/2 years old.

Trung Son February 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Carl!
Thanks for your sharing about yourself! You look like Vietnamese! (I’m Vietnamese). I’m sure you are very successful in both – your life and your career. Could you tell me the secret? I’m 25 years old, but I’m at a standstill now. I said that “I was an insurance agent” that is only my new goal. I’ve just resigned a boring job. I want to become a insurance agent because I like it (I think so), and It realy can be bring the practical value to everybody, to every families. I want to like you, doing useful things.

I’m sorry, seem I deviated from main content.

Continous success!

Carl Kwan February 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hi Trung Son,

Thank you for your kind words. I much appreciate it :)

Yes, I thought you were Vietnamese from your name. In Vancouver, there are many Vietnamese so I’m familiar with the names.
Good question… I wish I could tell you the secret. For me, I decided a long time ago not to do what everyone expected and find my own way. I’m in no way perfect or super-successful but I believe I can do well at whatever I set my mind to. If you’re really serious about learning how to be successful, I’d recommend reading some good books: “Think and Grow Rich” by Napolean Hill; “The 4-Hour Work-Week” by Timothy Ferriss; and “The Education of Millionaires” by Michael Ellsberg are some of the books that have highly influenced me. Reading and self-education are very important.
I think your work as an insurance agent will give you good experience in dealing with people and learning to listen and trying to help them.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about this deviated content :)

Dianne Sarasin March 16, 2012 at 3:18 am

Thank you so much for the lesson, I appreciate it a great deal.
I would like to introduce myself to a marketing audience and a marketing forum to offer them a free short guide about marketing the internet.
Following your example I put this together.
Hi my name is——– and I’m from Marketing Junkies. com
I help people learn about the online world and how they can profit from it in an quick and easy manner.
Even if they know nothing about getting started.
Thank you for checking me out, and we’ll see you on the other side.

Would you critique this introduction please, and of course it will be on video. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Dianne Sarasin

Carl Kwan March 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hi Dianne,

Thank YOU for watching and for the message.
Your introduction’s good… I would just add a couple of things, based on the audience and your message:
1. Change “people” to “you”, maybe like this: I can show you how to profit from the online world quicker and easier than you might think. Even if you’ve tried before or know nothing about getting started.
2. Add a call-to-action, like this maybe: All you have to do is enter your name, your best email address, and click submit. Thank you for checking me out, and hope to see you on the other side.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,

Leeya March 22, 2012 at 12:48 am

Hye Carl,

I watched your video…very fantastic!
Here, i have an example….please advice:
1. Hi, i am leeya from Ligni-Energy Sdn Bhd
2. And we help people to reduce the dependence on fossil fuels and provide solutions to global warming with increase renewable energy usage
3. ……..sorry, i dont have any idea

Can u help me? sincerely, my self confident to speak in English very poor :-(

Carl Kwan March 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Hi Leeya,

Thanks for watching and for your example! :)

It sounds very good! One option for 2 is to change “people” to “you.” So, something like: “And we can help you reduce dependence…” This is great for personalizing your message.

Another way to say 2 is to talk about the benefit they can achieve. For instance, you can mention that they will also save money after the word “usage.”

For 3, you could say, “Even if you think you’ve already reduced your dependence to a minimum.”

Good luck! Let me know if that helps or if you have other questions or examples you want to show me.

All the best.

puneet June 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm

huy this is puneet i just wanted to know how to give the introduction about your self when u are a fresher.

Carl Kwan June 9, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hi puneet,
Thanks for visiting and for the question. This video you’re looking at will help you, as well as others if you search for “introduction” or “introduce.”

But perhaps you mean something else? If you’re a fresher, then I’d talk about your goals, or biggest strengths, or something interesting about yourself.

Hope that helps. If you can be more specific about what you’d like to know, I’d be happy to give other suggestions.

jiya July 4, 2012 at 3:08 am

hello…
greeting of the day..

this is jiya , just want to know how can introduce myself by call for interveiw.
plz reply me as soon as possible..

warm regards

Carl Kwan July 5, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hello jiya,

Thanks for your message. When introducing yourself for a call interview, you should ask what they want to know before you answer. For example, they will likely say, “Tell me about yourself.” Instead of answering right away, it’s better for you to find out exactly what they want to know. So, you should ask, “Sure. Would you like to know about my professional background or personal background?” If they answer professional background, ask one more question about a specific area of your background, “Okay. Would you like to know about my experience as a manager or as a sales person?” You would do something similar for personal background.

The reason you MUST do this is to avoid answering the wrong thing and getting rejected. When you ask what they want to know, then you answer what they want, you prevent yourself from getting rejected. Every interviewer is looking for a reason to reject the applicant. Don’t get rejected if you want the job! Don’t be afraid to ask questions to clarify exactly what they want to know.

In addition, you should prepare short answers about each area of your professional and personal background so you can answer the questions confidently.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

lakhan lal July 13, 2012 at 3:49 am

good impressive words to audience

Carl Kwan July 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thank you!

Thant Sin Tun July 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

nice…thank u

Carl Kwan July 16, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Nice to hear from you…Thank YOU!

Alfred August 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Hello Carl, I’m Alfred from the Philippines. That tutorial video is very awesome! You almost made my mind blow with very helpful techniques, and only within 6 minutes! I am very glad you’re helping normal people like us to do things which we really need assistance of. And by the way Carl, can you give me some tips on how to make a video presentation of me answering “tell something about yourself” and “what can you do for the company?” ? I am really in need of your wisdom Carl, I hope you can help me, I know you will. Thanks Carl. More power! :)

Carl Kwan August 4, 2012 at 8:04 am

Hello Alfred! Sorry I forgot to reply :(

Thank you for your kind words. It’s really appreciated!

When someone says, “Tell me about yourself,” it’s a trap! What they’re looking for is a reason to reject you based on something you say that they’re not going to like. What you do instead is to ask, “What specifically would you like to know? My professional background or personal background?” Whatever their answer, you have to follow up with another question to get to exactly what they want to know.

If they say professional background, then you ask them which part of your professional background. You then list things by saying, “My experience as a manager? Or my work on the XYZ project? Or my work as a brain surgeon?” Now they will tell you exactly what they wanted to hear in the first place. You don’t get rejected!

The same goes for “What can you do for the company?” You have to ask probing questions to get to exactly what they want to hear. You can start by saying, “There may be many things I can do for the company. Which specific area do you most need help with or need improving?” Then you answer after they tell you, but be sure to include an example from your past experience to backup what you say. Examples are really important!

Good luck!

mubi August 16, 2012 at 7:16 pm

hellow caral,please tell me or help me,tomarrow is my interview for call centre,please tell me when he say introduce ur self ,what i say?and when he say why u want to join this company?etc please tell me or send me in email……………mubashermalik01@gmail.com

Carl Kwan August 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Hello mubi,

Thanks for your message.

Please see the answers I gave to Alfred and jiya above. They asked the exact same question as you! :-)

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

mubi August 17, 2012 at 12:02 am

you are so kind heart person ,i love you so

arun September 12, 2012 at 12:58 am

hello carl,
i want to know how to introduce ourself to the press reporter in 2015 (for our key achievements)
i want to give speech on this topic for 90 sec.infront of camera.
pls help me .

regards,
arun

Carl Kwan September 12, 2012 at 1:14 am

Hello Arun,

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting.

I’m confused and need to know more…Please clarify what you mean by “in 2015.” What topic? Key achievements? In what?

chand September 26, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Hi carl kwan,

Am chand doing mba in delhi university, How can i answer for tell me about yourself in interview for fresher?
How to start? After my name and qualification what are all the point i have to tell?
Could you give me some example speech for that?
Or
What are all the steps i have to follow?

Carl Kwan September 27, 2012 at 1:05 am

Hi chand,

Thanks for your message! It’s great to hear from you.
If you look in the comments of this post, you’ll see that I’ve answered your question a couple of times for other people. Please have a look at those answers, as they are the same advice I’d give you.
Good luck with your MBA!

All the best.

Sheilah October 18, 2012 at 4:31 am

Carl you’re awesome.

I’m creating a quick video of myself for a job application and Googled the top how-tos. Came across your site and was hooked. I especially liked the short 1-minute-plus vid that showed how easy it is to show a presentation to your grandmother.

Incidentally, are you a Filipino? You speak very well, are never boring and you do talk sense (I also love the shirts and the pens LOL). Everyone else just makes noise.

I’m hitting the subscribe button somewhere here…..

Carl Kwan October 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

Aw gee…Thanks! :)

You’re awesome just for being so nice!

I’m Chinese-Canadian, from Hong Kong, moved to Vancouver when I was 2 1/2 years old, lived there until coming to Seoul almost 8 years ago.

Good luck with your job application. If you’d like me to look at your video and give you some feedback, let me know.

All the best,

raghu dev December 8, 2012 at 12:10 am

thnq !

it was vry informative..

choklang December 24, 2012 at 11:42 pm

*Presentation Topic*

1. Self-introduction

1. Presentation on a suitable topic as under

(a) Project/assignment that you have undertaken or vision and strategy and
business model for the company in case of senior management positions

(b). Understanding the role and how the candidate would fit the job
profile of the company.

Please help me !~
Thanks

Carl Kwan December 31, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply…Christmas holidays were busy.

Who is your audience?
#1 is easy…Just follow one of the many videos I’ve done on self-introductions.

As for the topic…First, consider some kind of background story/events that led to the topic(s). Then think about goals, motivation of parties involved, conflicts and subsequent solutions. You need to be clear about the audience.

Hope that helps.

Happy New Year!

inder February 11, 2013 at 2:30 am

i have to give presentation on AIDS AWARENESS… please tell how do i start?

Carl Kwan February 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Who is your audience? This will make a huge difference when starting your presentation.

What is the goal of your presentation? Why are you giving it?

Please answer the above questions and I’ll be able to help you better.

Thanks.

amrita February 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

hi carl,
plz can u tell me how should i give my itroduuction when im going for interview 1st time?
currently im pursuing my btec.

Carl Kwan February 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Hi amrita,

Thanks for your question. Is this a job interview or school interview? Are you asking about when they ask you to introduce yourself? I’m not sure what btec is, so can you please tell me?

The instructions in this video are what most people need to introduce themselves. Is there something you’re not sure about?

It would be better if you told me more about who will interview you and what you plan to say. Then I can give you better advice or feedback.

Thanks and good luck.

Karen Reeve March 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hi Carl,
Thank you so much for your video. I am a student studying to be a Chaplin and motivational speaker. One of my goals is to learn how to introduce myself to individual people. This has given me so much clarity. I really appreciate the way you have kept it simple. English is my first language but I am severely dyslexic and find it hard to find someone who can teach me in a way I understand. YOU JUST DID IT.

Thank you so much.

Carl Kwan March 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hi Karen,

Wow! Thank you! You totally made my day :)

So happy to hear that the video helped. Good luck with your studies and goals!

All the best.

zohra May 14, 2013 at 1:25 am

how con I introduce myself in a interview

Carl Kwan May 14, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for your question. The answer is already here in the video. You can also search this site for additional help. Sorry to sound harsh.

Dominic Joseph D'cruze June 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Dear Carl,

This is Dominic Joseph D’cruze, i loved the way you presented yourself online and it gives me the energy to be like you.

Dominic Joseph D'cruze June 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Dear Carl,

I send this mail to you and appreciate the way you introduced yourself this gives me energy to be like you.

Take care and all the bes.

Regards,
Dominic Joseph D’cruze.
+91 9849441417.
+91 8019041417.

Carl Kwan July 1, 2013 at 2:43 am

Thank you Dominic. Sorry to reply so late. Appreciate your kind words.

Tarun Bhatia October 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Simple, clear and very helpful. Thanks.

tasawar October 8, 2013 at 6:35 am

helo dear sir

how are.i m operation manager of my company.very new company of network.when i go any other company i have no confident to introduce my self my work.i have good experience our work.how to make my self beconfident.my english is also week plz reply sir

Carl Kwan October 10, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for your message. The important thing is to be well prepared and to practice. Nobody is good when they first start presenting, especially in another language. It takes time and practice. Make many mistakes and learn from your mistakes. Keep trying. Presenting is a skill that anyone can acquire. Good luck.

Sue November 30, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hi Carl,
Thanks Carl for easy and informative ways to intoducing one self.Great stuff.I would the say three easy steps you’ve outline applies for a pageant presentation.
In a weeks time my cousin is taking part in a pageant and we’ve been trying to put a very simple introduction together.

Can you help in any way.

Regards

Carl Kwan December 1, 2013 at 2:00 am

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your message. Absolutely you can apply these techniques for a pageant presentation. I’d be happy to help if I can but you’ll need to be more specific with what you would like help with.

Please contact me with more information at http://www.carlkwan.com/contact-us/.

Thanks.

Elaine June 1, 2014 at 5:03 am

Talofa (hello) Carl

I can’t stop thanking you enough for the persuasive and powerful advice. Just by reading your/others. I think this is really helping, loving and caring for everyone. I’m in the process of preparing a presentation regarding B U L L Y…I prayed that may his blessings continued upon your continuous good deeds. God bless.

Elaine TUMalaga Tealei